Friday, August 13, 2010

Saved $80 today with a DIY project!


When I saw my mom last weekend, she mentioned a bracelet with a stone that had fallen out and I offered to get it fixed. When I got home, I made a pile of about five necklaces with various issues and put an ad on Craigslist to see if someone could fix everything for a reasonable price. The only responder offered $100 to fix most of it, with some wiggle room if it turned out harder than he expected. Since all but one is costume jewelry, mostly bought from thrift stores at $3 or so, I didn't want to spend that much. So I did a google search for fixing links and clasps and found an e-how video, got some needle nosed pliers and my tweezers, and fixed all but one! The bracelet with the stone from my mom doesn't want to sit back into its holder and I can't figure that one out. But even if I have to take that one piece to a repair place, I've still got all the others fixed and feeling quite proud;-). At my garage sale this summer, a woman stopped by who had redone an old house in town herself. She and her dad even jacked it up off the foundation to fix something. When I expressed admiration, she said, "Most people can probably do most things, you just have to be willing to get in there and learn." Well said! This is supposed to be hiatus, but with the kids at Grandma and Grandpas, time is fairly plentiful! Plan to sleep in tomorrow!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment