I went to a "tame your sweet tooth" seminar at the local school and it was an eye opener. First, she showed us teaspoonful by teaspoonful, how much sugar was in a 20 ounce Pepsi (one of my favorites) and YIKES!
Then she went through additional sugar facts. Here are a few excerpts from the handouts.
1. Sugar can suppress the immune system and destroy germ killing ability for up to five hours after ingesting (she didn't quote the amount here).
2. Sugar contributes to weight issues because when you have excess insulin in your blood, cells can't release their fat into the bloodstream.
3. High insulin levels can decrease the body's ability to absorb nutrients from other foods.
4. Cravings for sugar are often caused by a lack of water.
5. If you chew your food 25 times per bite you will reduce your cravings for sugar because you will be releasing natural sugars in the healthier foods you eat.
6. Cinnamon is a blood sugar stabilizer and will lend a sweet flavor to your foods.
7. The chemicals in diet foods are just plain scary!